3 Tips To Study for the USMLE Step 1 Exam

The USMLE Step 1 exam is one of the many necessary tests you take on your path to becoming a doctor. At the end of your second year of medical school, this exam is the first of three you must pass to apply for your medical license. With something this important, it’s necessary to take the right approach to study. Here are a few tips to help you along.

1. Take a Study Course

Using a professional USMLE Step 1 review course ensure you study everything necessary to pass the test. With the text covering so much information, you must know what topics to review. When using a predesigned course, everything is organized for you, so you don’t miss chunks of information. 

2. Plan Ahead

Taking a test of this magnitude requires a lot of time to study so you remember what you learn. One way to do this is to study for small amounts of time over the year before your test. Spend about 80% of your dedicated time going through all the material the first time. Then, as you get closer to the exam, spend the remaining 20% of your time reviewing the information again. If you have taken practice tests, focus on the questions you answered incorrectly. 

3. Take Time for Yourself

Studying, working and attending classes cause a lot of stress. When you are stressed, you can’t concentrate, so take some time for a break. Keep yourself healthy by getting some exercise each day, consider adding some relaxing yoga into your routine, and decompress with your friends. Taking time away from the stress allows your mind and body to relax, and you’re more capable of focusing after a break.

Studying for the USMLE Step 1 exam can be challenging. Follow these tips to help you manage your time and feel confident when the time comes to take the test.